Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Social Security Number

As you probably know, everyone in the US needs a social security number. Well, we wanted to wait until we had Lily's final amended birth certificate before we applied for hers as this would make it so that we would not have to then do a name change later. Well, we still don't have an amended birth certificate because of how slow the vital records department is in making these amendments. They told me yesterday that it will take another 2-5 MONTHS to get it done.

Today, I went to the Social Security Administration office anyway. I took as much paperwork as I could: her original birth certificate, our adoption decree and anything else that I could think they might want.

The woman who helped me was very nice. So nice that I didn't even get mad when she said that there was not much she could do without the amended birth certificate. She also told me that Lily already has a SSN that was issued when she was in the hospital. Well, golly. No one bothered to tell us that! The woman said that she would request an amended birth certificate and that she would call me when it came in. She also said that she would do everything she could to get everything processed so that there would be no delay once they had all of the paperwork they needed.

Hopefully we will have her SSN by the time we need to file our taxes.

No comments: